This write-up is taken from coverage in Fit4Life, Sunday Star, 28 November 2010 where three advanced cancer survivors were interviewed.
Diagnosed with cancer in 2001, Raja Azizatul (63) went through chemotherapy and an operation to remove one of her breasts. Her cancer recurred in 2008.
Hajah Haziah (72), diagnosed in 1998 and had undergone a surgery to remove one of her breasts. The cancer returned in September 2010, this time in her lungs and bones.
Lang Yum Khai (68) had survived breast and lung cancer after she was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1992.
They provided views on what cancer patients need.
1. A support environment, especially from family and friends.
2. Want to hear positive and encouraging words.
3. Their need to know their own condition, espedcially the positive part of it.
4. Respect from others, especially on treatment decision.
What they do not need.
1. Too much advice from the experts, formal and informal.
2. People asking about their cancer in public.